My Dad is cleaning out my grandmother’s house (she died in December) and he brought me an old Royal Crown Cola bottle. In the bottle top was a stopper with a bunch of holes in it. I knew immediately what it was, but my daughter had no idea. She thought they had tried to make it a saltshaker or something. I knew it as the bottle that sat on the end of the ironing board to ‘sprinkle’ clothes with because we didn’t have steam irons. Man, I am old.
How many do you remember?
Older Than Dirt Quiz: Count all the ones that you remember, NOT the ones you were told about! Ratings at the bottom.
- Candy cigarettes
- Coffee shops with tableside juke boxes
- Home milk delivery in glass bottles
- Party lines on the telephones
- Newsreels before the movie
- TV test patterns that came on at night after the last show and were there until TV shows started again in the morning. (there were only 3 channels!! If you had a TV!!
- Howdy Doody
- 45 RPM records
- 78 rpm records
- Hi-fi records 33 1/3 rpm
- Metal ice trays with lever
- Blue flashbulb
- Cork popguns
- Wash tub wringers
- Head lights dimmer switches on the floor
- Ignition switches on the dashboard
- Pant leg clips for bicycles without chain guards
- Soldering irons, you heat on a gas burner
- Using hand signals for cars without turn signals
If you remembered 0-4 = You’re still young
If you remembered 4-8 = You are getting older
If you remembered 9-12 = Don’t tell your age, &
If you remembered 13-15 = You’re older than dirt!!! THAT’S ME!!!
I might be older than dirt, but those memories are some of the best parts of my life. Don’t forget to pass this along!! Especially to all you’re really OLD friends.