My Dad is cleaning out my grandmother’s house (she died in December) and he brought me an old Royal Crown Cola bottle. In the bottle top was a stopper with a bunch of holes in it. I knew immediately what it was, but my daughter had no idea. She thought they had tried to make it a salt shaker or something. I knew it as the bottle that sat on the end of the ironing board to ‘sprinkle’ clothes with because we didn’t have steam irons. Man, I am old.
How many do you remember?
- Head lights dimmer switches on the floor.
- Ignition switches on the dashboard.
- Starter on the floorboard.
- Only one brake light on the left rear.
- Pant leg clips for bicycles without chain guards.
- Soldering irons you heat on a gas burner.
- Using hand signals for cars without turn signals .
Older Than Dirt Quiz:
Count all the ones that you remember, NOT the ones you were told about. Ratings at the bottom.
- Candy cigarettes.
- Coffee shops with tableside juke boxes
- Home milk delivery in glass bottles
- Party lines on the telephones
- Newsreels before the movie
- TV test patterns that came on at night after the last show and were there until TV shows started again in the morning. (there were only 3 channels. If you had a TV!!
- Howdy Doody
- 45 RPM records
- 8 rpm records
- Hi-fi records 33 1/3 rpm
- Metal ice trays with lever
- Blue flashbulb
- Cork popguns
- Wash tub wringers
- Little wax bottles with sweet liquid
- Aluminum foil on the rabbit ears.
If you remembered 0-3 = You’re still young
If you remembered 3-6 = You are getting older
If you remembered 7-10 = Don’t tell your age, &
If you remembered 11-16 = You’re older than dirt!!! THAT’S ME!!!
I might be older than dirt but those memories are some of the best parts of my life .
Don’t forget to pass this along! Especially to all your really OLD friends
One thought on “Day Brightener – Another “I’m Older Than Dirt” Retrospective”
The first 17 apply. Wow. Great memories. I have my parents ice box and remember ice block deliveries. The horseradish man yelling “fresh ground horseradish”